Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 151 member states, a further 12 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement. IOM works in the four broad areas of migration management: Migration and development Facilitating migration Regulating migration Forced migration. IOM activities that cut across these areas include the promotion of international migration law, policy debate and guidance, protection of migrants' rights, migration health and the gender dimension of migration. IOM Nigeria commenced activities in 2001 and focused its interventions on counter trafficking activities, migration issues, return and reintegration of stranded migrants especially to Liberia, and Voluntary Returns from abroad.
SVN No.: SVN2023.119
- Under the direct supervision of the of the Chief Migration Health Officer (Abuja)/Migration Health Officer (Lagos), the incumbent oversees the Call Centre and Data Processing/registration teams in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC).
- These teams provide information, relevant to Health Assessment Programs, Applicant processing and other IOM services to the migrants.
- The incumbent will be responsible for performing routine administrative functions such as switchboard operations, handling inquiries and providing refugee/immigrant assistance as necessary.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Nurse (CMHN) or Senior Migration Health Nurse the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Abuja, Benin, Lagos, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Organize the Medical Assistants Roster and assign various duties in the unit as well as actively participate in day-to-day scheduling and Data Processing.
- Develop and keep up to date MHAC’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Supervise and train Medical Assistants in compliance to the MHAC Medical Assistants’ SOPs.
- Assist in analysis of various tools pertaining to migrant flow and satisfaction in MHAC - including active monitoringof scheduling trends.
- Prepare medical forms, laboratory labels, serology code books, chest x-ray labels and daily scheduling of MHD health assessments.
- Ensure that reception area is well organized and presentable at all times.
- Provide accurate information and answers to telephone and/or walk-in queries from applicants regarding their schedules and direct as required.
- Assist in improving the integrity of customer care work by proposing key fraud prevention measures.
- Receive all completed medical deferrals/furtherance, x-rays, and other documents from MHD, update the reception of the same in the database and forward to the migration health physician for clearance.
- Oversee the completion of medical forms, DNA packages and other medical documents and ensure they are transmitted to relevant partners, either by electronic means or by courier services. Verify that correct contacts and physical address are used whenever documents are transmitted by courier services and ensure to inform the receiving party of the parcel tracking number electronically.
- Updating MHD information on the country MHD Website.
- Prepare and submit monthly statistics on Health Assessments performed by MHD.
- Prepare correspondence to respond to queries in respect to relevant matters of the MHAC. File incoming/outgoing letters, reports, memoranda, emails faxes as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM medical issues.
- Prepare purchase request forms for procurement of equipment and working materials for MHD.
- Data management follow-up including the creation of queries to retrieve information from the database and responding to various follow-up needs.
- Participate in mobile health assessment missions in the Region to provide IT/Database support.
- Provide Database/data processing support to the Region and other MHD locations as needs arise.
- Suggest improvements to strengthen internal control mechanisms; provide inputs for new procedures to complement and/or adapt existing instructions in an effort to achieve streamlining efficiencies.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology/Management, Social Sciences, statistics, or related fieldwith at least four years of relevant working experience.
- Experience in managing large dynamic teams, with a customer service, IT, or administrative background.
- Certificate in IT/Data entry is an advantage.
- High computer literacy in Windows and MS Office is mandatory, knowledge of web page design would be an asset.
- In-depth use of MS office applications, data collection and analysis.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, as well as previous secretarial and archival experience, an added advantage; and,
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an added advantage.
- Languages: Fluency in English (oral and written) required, working knowledge of the local language.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Counselling, health promotion, public health or migration health skills/experience is a plus.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy, and confidentiality.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - Behavioral Indicators - Level 2:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
Thursday; 2nd November, 2023.
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now