Conflict and differences are inevitable. Violence is not. We partner with people around the world to ignite shared solutions to destructive conflicts. We work at all levels of society to build sustainable peace through three main avenues: Dialogue+, Media+, and Community+.
- Search for Common Ground is seeking an experienced Media Officer (Digital Peacebuilding) who will work with the project team in empowering diverse youth in Bauchi, Gombe, and Plateau States to advance inter-religious tolerance and freedom of religion.
- The candidate should be experienced in using digital technology to address the online drivers of conflict including the divided information ecosystem thereby contributing to a healthy digital ecosystem/neighborhood.
- He/She should possess the skills to gather and accelerate data collection, analysis, and visualization which will enhance narrative change, information sharing, and giving a voice to stakeholders.
- The position will be based in Jos with frequent field travels to Bauchi and Gombe states.
Roles and Responsibilities: Digital Peacebuilding Through Social Listening
- Utilize social media platforms and other online resources to connect young people from different religious backgrounds and facilitate dialogue and exchange. This could include creating online communities or forums where young people can discuss their beliefs, practices, and challenges in a respectful and open-minded manner.
- Develop or co-design and disseminate educational materials and resources, such as videos, podcasts, and interactive quizzes, that teach about the beliefs, practices, and histories of different religious communities in the state. These resources could be shared through social media platforms and other online channels.
- Utilize virtual and augmented reality technologies to create immersive experiences that bring young people from different religious backgrounds together and facilitate dialogue and understanding.
- Use data analytics and other digital tools to track the impact and effectiveness of inter-religious programs and activities, and make adjustments as needed to ensure that they are meeting their goals and objectives.
- Work with tech companies and other organizations to create partnerships and collaborations that can support the use of digital tools to promote inter-religious understanding and respect for diversity among young people in the state.
- Engage with young people directly to gather feedback and ideas about how digital tools can be used most effectively to promote inter-religious understanding and respect for diversity in the state.
- Utilize the information for the development of alternative messages which will inform the content and audience targeting of the action’s multimedia peace campaign
Roles and Responsibilities: Mass Media
- Engage the media and other forms of communication, including social media platforms, to promote inter-religious understanding and respect for diversity among young people in the state. This could include producing and distributing educational materials, as well as working with journalists and influencers to cover inter-religious events and issues in an objective and fair manner.
- Document lessons learned, messages, and outcomes from the program to communities across Plateau, Bauchi, and Gombe
- Keep track of media logs, monitor the broadcast of the media products, and provide regular feedback to the service providers
- Monitor the media component of the project in collaboration with identified media partners
- Provide necessary support to the Communications Coordinator to manage social media profiles relating to the project, including publishing and distributing content, running campaigns, and monitoring progress
- Provide support to the Project Manager and Media Specialists in delivering the multimedia peace campaign to raise public awareness and knowledge around issues as they relate to the project objectives
- Collaborate effectively with the Media Specialist and media team to create high-quality relevant multimedia products that cut across all platforms which will contribute to changing attitudes and challenging stereotypes.
- Responsible for overseeing all the multimedia products
- Develop relations with media actors and assist in mobilizing media for events where necessary;
- Capture photos and success stories in all Search meetings, training, and events;
- Roles and Responsibilities: Program Coordination
- Provide communications support during outreach events e.g producing materials, live stream on social media, or coordinating a press conference for project activities in target states
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in peacebuilding to leverage opportunities for Search’s communications.
- Communicate with target groups, communities, partners, and stakeholders to understand and address the program’s end-user information and communications needs;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, development studies, marketing, or related field; Master’s degree is a plus.
- Data management, strategic communications, and dialogue and networking.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in Digital Campaigns, Digital Marketing/Advertising, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Creating Digital Media, Participatory Video, etc.
- Online Facilitation and remote capacity building
- Understanding of and experience in harnessing traditional and social media for awareness-raising and advocacy, social media savvy;
Other Relevant Requirements
- Outreach, communications for development, advocacy, social marketing,, media and public relations, and campaigning preferably with an I/NGO;
- Strong command of English language and relevant language in the locations, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent copywriting skills for social media and other digital platforms
- Demonstrated ability Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,)
- Excellent analytic skills and ability to produce high quality written materials for different audience;
- Creative writing, editing, photography, presentation, public speaking and active listening skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to collaborate with multiple offices within an organization and interact with partners, contractors and other stakeholders at senior level.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and communicate highly.
- Technical information to both expert and lay audiences, and achieve consensus on communications policy, project, research, and administrative matters.
- Proactive, creative, entrepreneurial and collaborative; ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now