The Ideal Candidate
The person must be fluent in written and spoken English with a track record of reporting experience, a deep understanding of national and international current affairs, and proven newsroom leadership experience. He/she should be able to communicate with senior management and external partners.
As a senior team leader in the newsroom reporting to the General Editor, you are expected to be a resourceful supporter to the editor and his deputies and will be tasked with the responsibility of sourcing compelling leads and other top stories and ensuring that MTL editorial standards and values are maintained in our reporting.
Competencies and key responsibilities
- The candidate should have all the necessary qualities to be a team leader of the newsroom for the Saturday and Sunday publications.
- Ability to source for very compelling leads and other top stories.
- The candidate must be able to turn regular and routine news items into very big and in-depth reports.
- He/she must possess impeccable English writing skills and have copy editing and re-writing techniques.
- Ability to be a self-starter who can generate story ideas and be versatile in local and international current affairs.
- The candidate must be able to assign, commission and guide reporters to do good, accurate, unique and unbiased stories.
- Must have the ability and skills to enrich and contextualize news reports and have contacts in the business, government and socio-political arenas.
- He/she must be a meticulous editor who can quickly identify gaps in news items and ensure the same are filed appropriately.
- The candidate must be able to separate the wheat from the chaff; that is, select and publish only quality stories that interest the readers.
- The candidates must possess a minimum of a first degree in Mass Communication or English Language or any other relevant discipline.
- The candidate must have been a well-experienced reporter who has covered sensitive beats.
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now