A diplomatic mission is a group of people from one state or an international inter-governmental organisation (such as the United Nations) present in another state to represent the sending state/organisation officially in the receiving state. In practice, a diplomatic mission usually denotes the resident mission, namely the office of a country's diplomatic representatives in the capital city of another country. As well as being a diplomatic mission to the country in which it is situated, it may also be a non-resident permanent mission to one or more other countries. There are thus resident and non-resident embassies.
The Press and Media Coordinator monitors Nigeria press and Media coverage of issues of importance to the United States. Identifies and advises Consulate General Leadership on strategies for promoting accurate and balanced Nigeria Press and Media Coverage of U.S. foreign policy and American interests, correcting misinformation and countering disinformation. Builds productive relationships with press and media professionals in person and online.
This Mission is an OSM 5 or 5+post, a large Mission located in a country of major importance to the United States. Nigeria has the highest level of global influence of the vast majority of other countries around the world and its government is a principal player with which the United States interacts in all aspects of pressing multilateral issues.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of experience in a media outlet, international organization, government, or the private sector, with experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or public affairs is required.
A comprehensive understanding of Nigerian press and media institutions, professional journalism standards and practices, and trends in audience preferences for information consumption (print, TV, radio, online) is required.
Must have an understanding of communication trends in the region and internationally as they affect the Nigerian information landscape and must be familiar with influence patterns in information flow. Must have knowledge of marketing techniques, market analysis, and audience analytics in Nigeria.
- A university degree in Journalism, Communications, International Relations, Political Science, Economics, or local equivalent is required.
Note: NYSC Certificate/Exemption/Exclusion document is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Analytic Skills: The ability to identify, analyze, predict, and continually assess the attitudes of press and media outlets and information consumers across a wide range of thematic policy areas is required. Must be able to perceive significant changes in the Nigerian influence landscape and to adjust press and media operations and products to maximize balanced coverage for priority audiences.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Must have excellent customer relations, interpersonal, and cross-cultural communication skills. Must be able to identify influential voices in both traditional and digital information outlets and engage them to positive effect. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in order to speak publicly; write reports, press releases, and other products; engage in online forums; and contribute to publications. Must be able to tailor communications to fit formal and informal situations. Must be able to brief U.S. officers and visitors on a variety of issues.
- Management Skills: Strong event and management skills are required. Must be able to organize and run events such as press conferences, interviews, workshops, and journalism training seminars, often on short notice or in emergencies.
- Technical Skills: Good keyboarding and data entry skills are required; excellent familiarity with electronic discovery tools, in particular the internet, and standard information retrieval practices and procedures is required. Thorough knowledge of various computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and databases, is required. Detailed knowledge of and the ability to use digital platforms, tools, and products are required. Must have good numerical skills to develop budget projections and statistics for press and media analytics. Must have basic familiarity with TV and radio production skills to oversee logistics for press and television coverage. The ability to use social media and mobile platforms, photo editing software, photo and video sharing sites, and podcast creation tools is required.
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now