Save the Children invests in childhood - every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours. Please give monthly and support our mission. Save the Children is working to strengthen health systems and support maternal and child health in four northern states. Much work needs to be done for Nigeria to deliver its promises on Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 (which aim to reduce child mortality and improve maternal health) before 2015. Facts About Nigeria More than 173 Million people live there The average girl stays in school only until she's 9 123 out of 1000 children die before their 5th birthday A parent earns an average of just $4 a day Our Work Save the Children has been working in Nigeria since 2001. We're helping to improve health systems in northern Nigeria to delivery maternal, newborn, and child health services, including the revival of routine immunization.
The Digital Media and Internal Communications Specialist will provide the highest technical guidance and support to staff throughout the country on ensuring appropriate content gathering and dissemination, web and social media coverage, documentation and representation of Save the Children’s work in Nigeria with an ultimate goal of boosting brand and visibility. The post holder will lead and coordinate the implementation of a range of exciting projects for the team including but not limited to the creation of internal and external communications materials (including but not limited to brochures, monthly newsletters, infographics, project/programme profiles, and videos), information management tasks, building a social media profile, leading on member and donor engagement for support to fundraising and visibility of country programmes across SCI, and will oversee the creation of a wide range of communications, media and information content. He/she will ensure adherence to Save the Children’s brand guidelines, policy as well as procedures and that the rights of families and children are respected in all materials produced and disseminated (voice, photo, video, written).
S/he will be working in rapid-onset or slow-onset/ chronic emergencies. The role is to deliver vital media and communication products that enable excellent coverage and reflection of country programs and responses for the media, key stakeholders, partners and fundraising activities for members and across Save the Children International.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Organizational Profile and Visibility:
Raise the profile of Save the Children in Nigeria, both nationally and internationally. Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Nigerian Country Office
- Plan and execute strategic communications (all channels) to increase engagement, visibility and voice for SCI’s programs.
- Design, review and/or sign-off visibility and communication products based on SCI branding guidelines before procurement and dissemination.
Website, social media, and Workplace:
- Build engagement and manage social media profiles for SCI to enhance voice, awareness, and relevance.
- Identify and adapt relevant social media trends to increase engagement.
- Identify, escalate and manage issues when required with the support of senior colleagues.
- Ensure timely, regular, and live updates on existing activities across Nigeria on our various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram. YouTube and Twitter), the Website and Workplace.
- Engage in social media outreach activities and devise social media toolkits and tweet sheets based on the priorities identified.
- Work closely with the media and communication manager on the production and dissemination of materials for print/online/voice/visual.
Information and Communications:
- Lead on information and communication flows between all in-country programs and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Produce communications and information materials, such as, brochures, newsletter, info graphics, project/programme profiles, and videos etc; to build the Country Response’s visibility and engagement with Save the Children members, Regional Office/Centre, partners and relevant stakeholders to support programmes, advocacy and programmes.
- Produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to emergency situation, campaigns and Save the Children’s response and programmes – including key messages, Q&A’s, briefings and factsheets.
- Oversee the production of community-facing communications materials to support programmes.
- Work with the Knowledge Management focal person on the production of compelling photo stories, case studies and audio-visual materials from the field to highlight Save the Children`s work, including the commissioning of photography and film when required and in line with SCI policies and procedures (all consent on file and available).
- Tailor communication styles to different audiences with responsibility for ensuring terminology, branding and visibility in all materials, and ensure that SCI’s mandate as an impartial, neutral and humanitarian organisation is imparted in all communications.
- Successfully promoting and strengthening the profile of SCI in Nigeria through the social media and other exhibition opportunities.
- Work with celebrities, girl champions and social media influencers to engage strategic audiences.
- Regularly evaluate results and impact of communications activities.
- Ensure that relevant programs have communication plans, oversee and support the implementation of communications plans.
- Build the capacity of partner organizations for communications, as well as ensuring any joint communications projects are in-line with SCI policies and standards, including branding and visibility.
Building and maintaining effective relationships:
- Sourcing out Celebrities with high presence on social media and engaging them for strategic communications.
- Identifying and engaging communications consultants in Nigeria with support from the procurement and logistics department.
- Improve internal communications at the country, regional and global level and ensure updates are produced and circulated highlighting successes and sharing best practices.
Project Design, Coordination, Implementation, Management and Others:
- S/he shall actively engage in project proposal development processes with the PDQ/NBD Unit and ensures that Digital Media and Communication objectives are embedded in all programs/projects.
- S/he shall provide technical assistance and oversight to, and/or coordinate, manage and implement Digital Media and Communication heavy projects.
- Proactively contribute to, and support, the implementation of Advocacy and Campaign Department’s annual vision, objectives and plan of action, and take the lead on the delivery of the objectives under Communication, Digital Media and the Website category.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Advocacy and Campaign.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Creates a managerial environment within the communications team to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a country and global scale.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence.
- Displays consistent excellent judgement.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Graduated with a Degree in Communication, Journalism, Digital Media, Mass Communication or Public Relations from a recognized higher educational institution.
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience, preferably in similar positions in INGOs in Nigeria.
- Proven experience in developing and managing the production of communications materials for INGOs or other similar Organisation. Can produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both programme support and humanitarian situation – including key messages, Q&A’s and factsheets, case studies, press releases, media statements, briefs etc.
- Evidence of excellent English verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, partners and the ‘general public’. The ability to strategically target a wide range of audiences is essential.
- Excellent relationship-building skills.
- Excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills, i.e., applicable internally and externally.
- Creativity and desire to learn.
- The ability to deliver in high-pressure situations, with changing deadlines and priorities.
- Experience in leading information and communication flows between a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to gather case studies, testimonies, and information on different programmes. Excellent IT skills, especially in PowerPoint, SharePoint, and social media analytics, and experience with design software such as Photoshop is an advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support.
- Ability to fact-check, proofread, edit and draft materials.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment and interest in Save the Children's mission, vision, and values. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
Method of Application
Signup to view application details. Signup Now